The platform is based around the world’s smallest commercial System-on-Chip (SoC) for Wearables, MediaTek MT2502 (Aster).
About this Solution:
What is MediaTek LinkIt™ Assist 2502 Development Platform?
MediaTek LinkIt™ Assist 2502 development platform offers device developers a professional environment in which to design and prototype the software and hardware for Wearables and Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
This SoC works with MediaTek’s energy efficient Wi-Fi and GNSS companion chipsets also. This means it’s now easier to create devices that connect to other smart devices or directly to cloud applications and services.
To enable the prototype of Wearables and IoT devices and their software, the platform delivers:
- The LinkIt Assist 2502 Software Development Kit (SDK) for the creation of software for devices based on the MediaTek MT2502. The SDK provides an Eclipse IDE plug-in that provides for features to create new projects, open example code, build executables and edit resource files. In addition, the SDK includes tools to update development board firmware and install developed software.
- The LinkIt Assist 2502 Hardware Development Kit (HDK) for building prototyping devices. Based on a MediaTek hardware reference design, the HDK delivers the LinkIt Assist 2502 development board from Seeed Studio and LinkIt Assist 2502 module from AcSiP. The LinkIt Assist 2502 module is available separately and can be used to add the MediaTek MT2502 to production devices.
Key features of LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform:
- Based on MediaTek MT2502 (Aster) SoC with its optimized performance and power consumption to deliver consumers appealing, functional Wearables and IoT devices
- LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK that provides a plug-in for Eclipse IDE (with CDT) to enable software development and utilities, update development board firmware and load developed software
- A C-based API, to access and control the hardware features of the MT2502 SoC and connected peripheral hardware
- API calls to update software and firmware, offering the option to implement FOTA for devices
- Comprehensive communications, media and UI capabilities, with support for:
- GSM, GPRS and Bluetooth 2.1 and 4.0 (from the MT2502)
- Wi-Fi and GNSS (from companion chipsets)
- MP3/AAC audio
- JPEG decode, vector fonts (powered by Etrump) and more
- LinkIt Assist 2502 development board from partner Seeed Studio that includes support for swappable displays and pins to make use of all the I/O features of the MediaTek MT2502. In addition, support for theXadow interface enabling the use of peripheral components from Seeed Studio
- LinkIt Assist 2502 module to enable the MediaTek MT2502 to be easily integrated with device designs
LinkIt Assist 2502 architecture:
LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform run on top of the MT2502 (Aster) and, where used, its companion GNSS and Wi-Fi chipsets, along with LCM CTP, Memory LCD and OLED screen (swappable). The LinkIt firmware is based on an RTOS kernel. On top of this kernel is a set of drivers, middleware and protocol stacks that expose the features of the chipsets and displays to a Framework. A run-time Environment then exposes features of the framework to a C-based API used to develop software with the LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0
Hardware core: (MT2502) Aster
The hardware core for LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform is MediaTek MT2502 (Aster). This chipset also works with companion Wi-Fi and GNSS chips, offering high performance and low power consumption to Wearables and IoT devices.
Aster’s highly integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) design avoids the need for multiple chips, meaning smaller devices and reduced costs for device creators, as well as eliminating the need for compatibility tests.
With MT2502, it’s now easier and cheaper for device manufacturers and the maker community to produce desirable, functional wearable products.
- The smallest commercial System-on-Chip (5.4mm*6.2mm) currently on the market
- CPU core: ARM7 EJ-S 260MHz
- Memory: 4MB RAM, 4MB Flash
- PAN: Dual Bluetooth 2.1 (SPP) and 4.0 (GATT)
- WAN: GSM and GPRS modem
- Power: PMU and charger functions, low power mode with sensor hub function
- Multimedia: Audio (list formats), video (list formats), camera (list formats/resolutions)
- Interfaces: External ports for LCD, camera, I2C, SPI, UART, GPIO, and more
What is the software development environment for the LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform?
Software for the LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform is created with the LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0 (download here).
What computers does the LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0 run on?
The LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0 is currently supported on computers running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
What can I do with the LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0?
The LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0 provides a plug-in for the Eclipse IDE. This plug-in provides an API that includes support for the unique features of the LinkIt Assist 2502 development platform, such as GNSS and GSM. As such the SDK enables you to create demonstrations and rapidly prototype (conceptualize in the pre-production phase) new Wearables and IoT devices.
Know more about LinkIt™ Assist 2502:
This Solution is most applicable for the following stages and categories:
- Brainstorming an idea
- Proof of concept
- Working prototype
- Sports Devices
- Toys & Games
- Audio & Video Devices
- Smart Home Devices
- Tech Accessories
- Health Devices