Central Research Laboratory (CRL) - London's hardware accelerator for innovative startups that design and scale high-tech physical products
About this Solution:
Central Research Laboratory (CRL) - London’s brand new home for innovative startups that design and make physical products. Applications for our 9-month accelerator programme have just closed and the new cohort of up to 12 startups will begin in late September 2016.
CRL provides deep commercial and product development expertise, covering prototyping and design for manufacture which includes visits with local, European and Chinese manufacturers. Each team receives 24/7 access to high-end prototyping labs, a £5k startup grant on entry, access to industry mentors and investors, skills training, free office space for 9 months and an opportunity to pitch for up to £100k investment. In return, CRL takes 6% equity in each company.
More details about the programme here.
CRL programme has two phases:
Acceleration (3 months) - focuses on business and product development
- Intensive business development support, focused on: product-market fit, business model development, user research, marketing and brand strategy, operations (accounting, legal, IP) and financial modelling
- Product development support focused on: rapid prototyping, identifying core technologies, understanding the product development process
- Office hours with experts, interactive workshops, inspiring experience sharing, mentoring sessions
- Dedicated pitch training and support to prepare a killer pitch deck
- An opportunity to pitch for up to £100k equity investment from CRL partners
Runway (6 months) - focuses on design for manufacture and investor readiness
- Increased support on product development, including: design for manufacture (DFM), embedded systems, computer aided design (CAD), supply chain & logistics, materials, mass production
- Visits to UK, European and Asian manufacturers, including a two week trip to Shenzhen, China
- Crowdfunding coaching and support before, during and after the campaign
- On-going introductions to investors and private investor pitch sessions
- Opportunity to exhibit and pitch at the CRL Hardware Showcase
- Ongoing support from CRL Team, on-site and available for the full duration of the programme, dedicated to making your business a success
The programme culminates in the CRL Hardware Showcase – a chance for all teams to present to an influential audience of buyers, investors and prospective partners.
CRL Co-working Space for hardware startups
In October 2016 CRL opens 10,000 sq feet co-working space with extended prototyping facilities. The space will offer a mixture of hot and fixed desks, as well as studios for bigger teams. Register and get your FREE day trial.
Whether you are working on your product and don’t know how to turn it into a business; an early stage startup looking for scalable growth and funding; or currently going through the process of design for manufacture - we would like to hear from you!
We are excited about hardware and want to support the community one way or another. Drop us an email if the above sounds interesting!
Or follow what people say about @CRL_LDN on Twitter!
This Solution is most applicable for the following stages and categories:
- Proof of concept
- Working prototype
- Enhancing industrial design
- Improving electronic board
- Design for manufacturability
- Industrial Applications
- Sports Devices
- Toys & Games
- Audio & Video Devices
- Smart Home Devices
- Health Devices
- Science Gadgets
- Other Technologies