STMicroelectronics is a world leader in providing the semiconductor solutions that make a positive contribution to people’s lives, today and into the future.
Offering one of the industry’s broadest product portfolios, ST serves customers across the spectrum of electronics applications with innovative semiconductor solutions for Smart Driving and the Internet of Things. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented
- Among the world’s largest semiconductor companies
- A leading Integrated Device Manufacturer serving all electronics segments
- A leading technology innovator (approximately 8,300 people working in R&D, ~15,000 owned patents in ~9,000 patent families and 500 new patent filings)
- Delivering solutions that are key to Smart Driving and the Internet of Things
- Rich, balanced portfolio (ASICs, Application-Specific Standard Products and Multi-Segment Products)
- A pioneer and visionary leader in sustainability
- Corporate Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- President and CEO: Carlo Bozotti
- 2015 revenue: $6.90 billion
- Approximately 43,200 employees
- Over 75 sales & marketing offices in 35 countries
- 11 main manufacturing sites
- Public since 1994 - shares traded on New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: STM), Euronext Paris, and Borsa Italiana
- Created as SGS-THOMSON Microelectronics in June 1987, from merger of SGS Microelettronica (Italy) and Thomson Semiconducteurs (France)
- Renamed STMicroelectronics in May 1998
ST’s products are found everywhere today, and together with our customers, we are enabling smarter driving and smarter factories, cities and homes, along with the next generation of mobile and Internet of Things devices.
Smart Driving: safer, greener, more connected
It is estimated that 80% of all innovations in the automotive industry today are directly or indirectly enabled by electronics, which means a constant increase in the semiconductor content per car year after year. ST’s Smart Driving products and solutions are making driving safer, greener and more connected through the fusion of several of our technologies.
Driving is safer thanks to our Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) products – vision, radar, imaging, sensors and GNSS positioning technologies, as well as our Adaptive Lighting Systems and User Display Technologies. Driving is greener with our energy-management processors (EMU, ECU), Power Electronics at the heart of all automotive subsystems, Wide Band-Gap technologies (SiC and GaN) for electric cars, Sensors, and more. And vehicles are more connected using our car-to-car and car-to-infrastructure (V2X) connectivity solutions, infotainment system and telematics processors, Tuners, Amplifiers and Sensors.
The Internet of Things: solutions for smarter personal devices, homes, cities, and manufacturing
Due to the fragmented nature of the Internet of Things, the markets we serve span our entire customer base – from our largest customers to the tens of thousands of smaller and equally important customers who we serve through our distribution partners and mass-market initiatives.
Our daily lives as individuals benefit from the “Smart Things” we carry and use extensively. ST is a leading supplier of all the key technologies going into the next generations of personal consumer devices: Sensors, Microcontrollers for low and ultra-low power processing, Power and Analog components, and RF & Connectivity products. ST makes developing prototypes fast and affordable with a range of development ecosystems, including its STM32 Open Development Environment.
ST addresses the rise of the smart home and smart city systems through their core: energy consumption and management systems, or the future smart grids and their applications. Its solutions address the critical functions: from the combo chips inside the smart meters helping consumers and utilities track and balance the use and billing of electricity and water or gas to combo chips, to more intelligent street lighting able to sense its environment and dim or switch off to adjust to lighting conditions and municipal needs and sensors that can measure traffic flow and potentially re-route around obstructions.
ST provides a range of technologies enabling manufacturing and other industrial sectors to achieve better efficiency, flexibility, and safety through automation and robotics – this is what we call smart industry. The current shift, often labelled the “fourth industrial revolution” is making industrial systems smarter with the combined application of a broad range of products, including Microcontrollers, Sensors and Actuators, Motor Control, Signal Conditioning, Industrial Communication Solutions, Power Supplies, Protection Devices, Wireless Modules, and Display and LED Controllers.
Appliances and Industrial Tools
Automotive and Transportation
Energy generation and distribution
Internet of Things (IoT)
LED and General Lighting
Medical and Healthcare
Personal and Multimedia