LONDON’S HOME FOR INNOVATIVE HARDWARE STARTUPS
Central Research Laboratory (CRL) is about doing extraordinary things – making extraordinary products, starting extraordinary businesses and giving ambitious teams an extraordinary place, with everything they need to bring their innovations to the marketplace.
What makes CRL unique is that it’s designed to support entrepreneurs at every stage of their journey – from concept development, through prototyping, first batch production and beyond – with mentoring and investment provided along the way.
We also have a strong commitment to collaboration and community. Our programme of mentoring, technical advice, exhibitions and events is just as important as our prototyping labs and workspace.
CRL HARDWARE ACCELERATOR
LONDON'S NEW HARDWARE ACCELERATOR FOR STARTUPS THAT DESIGN AND MAKE PHYSICAL PRODUCTS
We are looking for 12 of the most ambitious hardware startups to join 9-month programme starting in mid-September 2016. Each team receives free office space, 24/7 access to high-end prototyping labs, a £5k grant and deep commercial and product development expertise. In return, the CRL takes 6% equity in each company.
The programme has two phases that we call Acceleration (3 months) and Runway (6 months). The Acceleration phase focuses on business and product development, and the Runway on design for manufacture and investor readiness. The Runway phase also includes a two week trip to Shenzhen, China as well as visits to UK and European manufacturers. The programme culminates in the CRL Hardware Showcase – a chance for all teams to present to an influential audience of buyers, investors and prospective partners.
Whether you are working on your product and don’t know how to turn it into a business; an early stage startup looking for scalable growth and funding; or currently going through the process of design for manufacture - we would like to hear from you!
CRITERIA TO APPLY
· A working prototype
· Two or more founders in the team
· The desire to build a scalable physical product business
· A product or business model displaying genuine innovation
PHASE 1 | ACCELERATION (3 months)
- Intensive business development support, focused on: product-market fit, business model development, user research, marketing and brand strategy, operations (accounting, legal, IP) and financial modelling
- Product development support focused on: rapid prototyping, identifying core technologies, understanding the product development process
- Delivered through: Office hours with experts, interactive workshops, masterclasses, inspiring experience sharing, mentoring sessions
- Dedicated pitch training and support to prepare a killer pitch deck
- An opportunity to pitch for up to £100k equity investment from CRL partners
PHASE 2 | RUNWAY (6 months)
- Increased support on product development, including: design for manufacture (DFM), embedded systems, computer aided design (CAD), supply chain & logistics, materials, mass production
- Visits to UK, European and Asian manufacturers, including a two week trip to Shenzhen, China
- Crowdfunding coaching and support before, during and after the campaign
- On-going introductions to investors and private investor pitch sessions
- Opportunity to exhibit and pitch at the CRL Hardware Showcase
...and the CRL team, on-site and available for the full duration of the programme, dedicated to making your business a success
CRL is fully equipped with the latest prototyping technology, from power tools to CNC machinery and electronics equipment.
Not only that but we have skilled staff on hand to support, guide and even help to design and make your prototypes.
The workshop is available to use 24/7 and all of the materials you may need are provided during the course of the programme. We are also able to supply any equipment that you may need throughout the 9 months, within reason. Below is a selection of the equipment we have so far, but please visit the About page to download the complete equipment list.